Friday, April 8, 2022

April 8: The Harpoon Shaft, a Badass, Kill Wonder

Santiago has miles to go before he sleeps . . . 

He started to pull the fish in to have him alongside so that he could pass a line through his gills and out his mouth and make his head fast alongside the bow. I want to see him, he thought, and to touch and to feel him. He is my fortune, he thought. But that is not why I wish to feel him. I think I felt his heart, he thought. When I pushed on the harpoon shaft the second time. Bring him in now and make him fast and get the noose around his tail and another around his middle to bind him to the skiff.

"Get to work, old man," he said. He took a very small drink of the water. "There is very much slave work to be done now that the fight is over."

He looked up at the sky and then out to his fish. He looked at the sun carefully. It is not much more than noon, he thought. And the trade wind is rising. The lines all mean nothing now. The boy and I will splice them when we are home.

Watched a documentary about Maya Angelou today.  She was a badass.

Saint Marty's koan:  it's easy to kill wonder--just drive a harpoon through its heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment