Thursday, April 7, 2022

April 7: Do the Slave Work, Poetry Reading with My Son, Hard Day's Work

Santiago has killed the fish . . . 

The old man looked carefully in the glimpse of vision that he had. Then he took two turns of the harpoon line around the bitt in the bow and laid his head on his hands.

"Keep my head clear," he said against the wood of the bow. "I am a tired old man. But I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work."

Now I must prepare the nooses and the rope to lash him alongside, he thought. Even if we were two and swamped her to load him and bailed her out, this skiff would never hold him. I must prepare everything, then bring him in and lash him well and step the mast and set sail for home.

I did a poetry reading with my 13-year-old son tonight.  I think he may be a real poet.  God help him.

Saint Marty's koan for today:  at the end of a hard day's work, there's always more hard work.



No comments:

Post a Comment