Thursday, April 14, 2022

April 14: Not Made for Defeat, MFA Thesis Defense, a Snake

Santiago meditates on defeat  . . .

"He took about forty pounds," the old man said aloud. He took my harpoon too and all the rope, he thought, and now my fish bleeds again and there will be others.

He did not like to look at the fish anymore since he had been mutilated. When the fish had been hit it was as though he himself were hit.

But I killed the shark that hit my fish, he thought. And he was the biggest dentuso that I have ever seen. And God knows that I have seen big ones.

It was too good to last, he thought. I wish it had been a dream now and that I had never hooked the fish and was alone in bed on the newspapers.

"But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated." I am sorry that I killed the fish though, he thought. Now the bad time is coming and I do not even have the harpoon. The dentuso is cruel and able and strong and intelligent. But I was more intelligent that he was. Perhaps not, he thought. Perhaps I was only better armed.

I went to the MFA thesis defense of one of my good friends this evening, and then I went to a children's museum and touched a snake.

Saint Marty's koan for tonight:  what doesn't kill us makes us poets.


No comments:

Post a Comment