Saturday, April 16, 2022

April 16: Hope Returned, Easter Vigil, Haiku Easter Egg Hunt

Santiago thinks about sin . . . 

"Yes there is," he said aloud. "I can lash my knife to the butt of one of the oars."

So he did that with the tiller under his arm and the sheet of the sail under his foot.

"Now," he said. "I am still an old man. But I am not unarmed."

The breeze was fresh now and he sailed on well. He watched only the forward part of the fish and some of his hope returned.

It is silly not to hope, he thought. Besides I believe it is a sin. Do not think about sin, he thought. There are enough problems now without sin. Also I have no understanding of it. I have no understanding of it and I am not sure that I believe in it. Perhaps it was a sin to kill the fish. I suppose it was even though I did it to keep me alive and feed many people. But then everything is a sin. Do not think about sin. It is much too late for that and there are people who are paid to do it. Let them think about it. You were born to be a fisherman as the fish was born to be a fish. San Pedro was a fisherman as was the father of the great DiMaggio.

The Easter Bunny came this morning, because my wife has to work tomorrow (Easter Sunday) morning.  Had an Easter brunch with my family.  Then, I helped out with a haiku Easter egg hunt this afternoon.  No Mass tonight.  Just a quiet Easter Vigil night at home.

Saint Marty's koan for this Easter Eve:  stupid hope is a knife on an oar, a chocolate bunny in an Easter basket.



No comments:

Post a Comment