Sunday, October 27, 2019

October 27: Bat-Shaped Seat, Pumpkins, Haunted Escape Room

[The Vogon] threw himself backward into a huge leathery bat-shaped seat and watched them.  He did the smile again.

I think I may have met this Vogon last night.

Greetings from Saint Marty and his son, Saint Gideon!

We are sitting here right now, listening to the radio program, The Red Jacket Jamboree, on our local Public Radio Station.  It's the Halloween episode that was recorded earlier this month at the Calumet Theatre.  I always have such a good time with my Red Jacket family.  Hope some of you guys out there had a chance to listen, as well.

My son and I have had a very Halloween-centered day.  First, we stopped at Walmart and bought some pumpkins and trick-or-treat candy.  Then we went costume shopping for my son, Saint Gideon.  He's chosen to be a mime this year.  So, we picked up a beret, striped shirt, white gloves, and some red suspenders.  Viola!  Mime.

Finally, after dinner, we carved some jack-o-lanterns.  I think that we are all ready for All Hallow's Eve. 



Speaking of All Hallow's Eve, let me tell you about the escape room I was forced to participate in last night, courtesy of my good friends at the cardiology office where I work (one of my four occupations).  You see, they know how much I hate haunted attractions.  Don't like jump scares.  Or zombies.  Or clowns.  Or rats.  Or dark places.  This escape room was promoted with the line "Exorcists Needed."  Not a big fan of that tag line, either.

Well, before I showed up with my daughter for this thing, I needed a little courage.  Found it in my cupboard--a bottle of pear schnapps.  After a couple glasses, I thought I was ready for anything.  I wasn't.  Standing outside the escape room, I could hear screams, yelling, moaning.  Then, we had to sign waivers that basically said, "If, by chance, I become possessed by a demon or am eaten by something undead, I won't hold anybody responsible."

The actual escape room is kind of a blur to me now.  I know that I grabbed one of my friends by her vest and held her in front of me for protection.  There were things screaming at us.  Blood running in a sink.  A possessed girl curled up in a bed.  A locked nursery full of demented toys.  And through this whole experience, I kept yelling things like "Ring the damn bell!"  and "Who has the cross?!" and "I think I soiled myself!" (I didn't say "soiled") and "I'm not touching that!!!"  I may have blacked out a couple of times.  That Vogon may have shown up.  I don't know.

All I can say is that I have had the whole Halloween experience this weekend, whether I wanted it or not.

Saint Marty may be sleeping with the lights on tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment