Sunday, October 6, 2019

October 6: Next Year's Journey, Few Things I've Learned, Addiction Sucks

As I embark upon my next year's journey in life, I thought I'd list a few things I've learned over the past 365 days:

  • Don't take anything for granted.  Life can change in a hummingbird's heartbeat.  One moment, you are on stable, easy ground.  The next, you're treading quicksand.  So, make sure to appreciate even the smallest, most mundane moments every day.  
  • You can't choose who you love.  Love chooses for you.
  • The person you love the most is the person who can hurt you the most.
  • Mental illness sucks.
  • Addiction sucks.
  • You cannot force an addict to become sober, no matter how hard you try.
  • Addiction is a selfish disease.  An addict will turn his back on his significant other, children, family, job,  and life in pursuit of his addiction.
  • You can't love a person into sobriety.
  • Did I mention that addiction sucks?
  • I am stronger than I realized.
  • God is looking out for me, all the time.  When I was at rock bottom this past year, staring up at the sky from the pit of a forgotten well, God stepped in, rolled up His sleeves, and went to work.
  • There are tons of people in my life who care about me very deeply.
  • My daughter is an amazing person.  She's smarter and stronger than I will ever be.
  • Poetry can save your life.
  • Friends come and go, like busboys in a restaurant, as Stephen King wrote.
  • There is nothing wrong with sameness.  Boring is not bad.  It's stable and comforting.
  • Sometimes, simply getting out of bed in the morning is the biggest victory of your day.
  • Never, EVER say to yourself, "Well, it couldn't get any worse!"  It WILL get worse.
  • I could live at Walt Disney World.
  • I am not a big fan of blizzards or snow storms.  
  • I still have dreams.
  • Hope is a sustaining life force, not an unrealistic fantasy.
  • Fear really is the opposite of faith.  
  • Don't chew loudly around me.  I will kill you.
  • I hate Donald Trump.
  • My son is sweet, generous, and loving.
  • My son is frustrating and short-tempered.
  • I love my son.
  • I love my daughter.
  • I love my wife.
  • Love always wins.
There you have it!  Saint Marty's life lessons for 2018/2019.  Print them on a tee-shirt.  Make a meme.  Turn them into an app.  Just remember, Saint Marty gets a 40% cut of the profits.


1 comment:

  1. I need the tshirt, although it will be down to my knees if the font is going to be big enough to read.

    ReplyDelete