Thursday, October 17, 2019

October 17: Unregarded Yellow Sun, Daughter's Gift, Significant Night

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

I didn't want the night to pass on this utterly insignificant little blue-green planet without acknowledging the wonderful evening I've had.  

After work, I returned home, and my daughter had a package waiting for her on the front porch.  When I told her about it, she asked me to bring it to her in her bedroom.  When I climbed the stairs, she told me to open the package in front of her.  

It turned out to be this:  



That would be Sharon Olds' just-published collection of poems, Arias.  My daughter's birthday present to me.  A wonderful surprise from my little girl who is so proud of her ability to buy gifts with her own money that she earns working at her job.

And then, I drove out into a beautiful sunset:



And attended the Open Mic at the Joy Center in my home town, where I listened to some great writing by some of my most favorite ape-descended life forms.  And I shared some newer and older pieces of my own:



This blue-green planet may be insignificant, but Saint Marty had a significantly fulfilling evening on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment