Tuesday, October 1, 2019

October 1: The Restaurant the the End of the Universe, Endings, Really Long Day

And now, the ending of Hitchhiker's . . .

He [Arthur] came across this entry.

It said:  "The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why and Where phases.

"For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question How can we eat? the second by the question Why do we eat? and the third by the question Where shall we have lunch?"

He got no further before the ship's intercom buzzed into life.

"Hey, Earthman?  You hungry, kid?" said Zaphod's voice.

"Er, well, yes, a little peckish, I suppose," said Arthur.

"Okay, baby, hold tight," said Zaphod.  "We'll take in a quick bite at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe."

And that, believe it or not, is the end of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  If you're sitting there, reading this, and thinking, "Wait.  There's a whole lot of questions that haven't been answered.  That can't be the end."--you're right.  It isn't the end.  There's three more books in the trilogy.  That's right, it's a four-book trilogy.  Go figure.

However, for the sake of this blog (and my sanity), I am not going to dive into the second book, which is aptly titled The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.  Nope.  If I continued on with Douglas Adams, I'd be writing about this series for the next three or four years.  Not going to do that.

Let me, instead, talk tonight about endings.  I am at the tail end of a really long day.  I worked.  Then I cleaned a church.  Just finishing up three hours of lesson planning for tomorrow.  I outlined a chapter of my textbook.  I tried to upload my quiz into my classes online .  Failed.  Now, I'm blogging.  Then, if I have the energy, I have to write a comedy sketch for the radio show in which I'm performing on Thursday evening.  It feels like I'm never going to get to bed.

In short, today feels like the end of Hitchhiker's.  I'm kind of going on to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe before I can sleep.

Saint Marty needs about a three-week nap. 


No comments:

Post a Comment