Sunday, April 28, 2019

April 28: Downers Recently, Something Different, "Glory Be Bop"

I think that a lot of my posts have been kind of downers recently.  That happens, especially when I'm in the middle of busyness.  National Poetry Month and work and teaching has kept me hopping this year.

So, to counteract the darkness of the last few days of posts, I am turning to poem I wrote over 17 years ago for a friend who was having a baby.  It's a poem I don't turn to very much.  I don't know why.  It's different for me, I guess.  Not what people expect.

Saint Marty doesn't mind being a little surprising every once in a while.

Glory Be Bop

by:  Martin Achatz

for Kristina, in labor
February 23, 2002

Glory be the sound of moans,
Across sky,
Black in cock-crow dawn.

Glory be the sound of blood,
Tug and wash, push and wail,
Wild midnight tide.

Glory be the sound of sweat,
Electric rain,
Hissing, kissing dark sea.

Glory be the sound of breath,
Hurricane sigh,
Hot licks on coast lips.

Glory be the sound of screams,
Seagull cry for mullet,
Wing crash, beak shred.

Glory be the sounds of you,
Bruise thick,
Bright starfish on the sand.


No comments:

Post a Comment