Sunday, April 14, 2019

April 14: Years of His Exile, Holy Week, Pounding Headache

A short passage about what's going on with Arthur and Ford . . .

The pink cubicle had winked out of existence, the monkeys had sunk away to a better dimension.  Ford and Arthur found themselves in the embarkation area of the ship.  It was rather smart.

"I think this ship's brand new," said Ford.

"How can you tell?" asked Arthur.  "Have you got some exotic device for measuring the age of metal?"

"No, I just found this sales brochure lying on the floor.  It's a lot of 'the Universe can be yours' stuff.  Ah!  Look, I was right."

Ford jabbed at one of the pages and showed it to Arthur.

"It says:  'Sensational new breakthrough in Improbability Physics.  As soon as the ship's drive reaches Infinite Improbability it passes through every point in the Universe.  Be the envy of other major governments.'  Wow, this is big league stuff."

Ford hunted excitedly through the technical specs of the ship, occasionally gasping with astonishment at what he had missed during the years of his exile.

Okay, I sort of feel like I've been in exile most of this weekend.  I spent most of yesterday in an organ loft, practicing and writing music for the upcoming Masses of Holy Week.  (If you are not a church musician, you will not understand the stress of the next seven days.  Six church services total for me--including two on Friday and two on Sunday.  I will be doing a lot of deep breathing.)  Last night, I helped my daughter with some scholarship essays for a few hours.  Today, I've been grading, lesson planning, and troubleshooting problems with my laptop and printer.

At the moment, I feel as if the top of my head is about to explode.  I have a pounding headache and piles of grading left to do.  My new job allows me very little free time during the day.  There's lots of people looking over my shoulder, all the time.  Therefore, I must cram a lot of stuff in my "free" time on the weekend--although I don't really even know what "free" time really is.  In my "free" time, I usually sleep.  

Sorry that I don't have something more profound to say today.  If you can't tell, I'm a little overwhelmed.  Not to worry, though.  In a couple weeks, I'll be worrying about other things--like how to pay my bills this summer when my paychecks from the university cease.  That's always a fun June/July/August game to play.

Outside my window, the icicles are melting.  Slowly.

Well, back to the red pen for Saint Marty.  


No comments:

Post a Comment