Friday, January 11, 2019

January 11: Marvels of the Universe, Ford Prefect, Low Blood Sugar

Back to Ford Prefect, Arthur Dent's friend from a planet near Betelgeuse . . .

In fact what he was really looking out for when he stared distractedly into the night sky was any kind of flying saucer at all.  The reason he said green was that green was the traditional space livery of the Betelgeuse trading scouts.

Ford Prefect was desperate that any flying saucer at all would arrive soon because fifteen years was a long time to get stranded anywhere, particularly somewhere as mindboggingly dull as the Earth.

Ford wished that a flying saucer would arrive soon because he knew how to flag flying saucers down and get lifts from them.  He knew how to see the Marvels of the Universe for less than thirty Altairan dollars a day.

Well, you can't get through Walt Disney World on thirty Altairan dollars a day.  That's for sure.


So, our teenage Ford Prefect finally came to his senses after about half a day at the Magic Kingdom.  The day became much better after the Haunted Mansion.  We started at the Jungle Cruise.  Moved on to the Country Bear Jamboree, followed by a side trip to the shooting gallery for my son..  Then we took a ride with the ghosts.  After the ghosts, we headed off to Hollywood Studios.  By that time, Ford Prefect had returned to Betelgeuse, and I stopped looking for flying saucers.

At Hollywood Studios, we rode the Tower of Terror.  Well, most of us did.  There are some non-thrill-ride people in our party.  After that, it was Alien Swirling Flying Saucer ride in Toy Story Land.  Didn't partake in that pleasure,  Too much spinning for my vertigo-prone brain.  Then, we had dinner.  Chicken and biscuits for me.  Delicious.  After that, Star Tours--which is a Star Wars-themed virtual reality ride.  Pretty cool.  We were going to try to get to the Muppet theater  for the 3-D movie, but it was closed for the day.  To round out the night, we saw Fantasmic, which is a laser/fireworks/water show with Mickey and company.  My son was enthralled through the whole spectacle.

We came home, tired but not exhausted.  Had some hot chocolate (it was in the 40s last night).  Watched some Shark Tank.  Went to sleep.  That's when I turned into Ford Prefect.  Or at least my body did.

I had a really low blood sugar early this morning.  Almost ambulance-worthy.  However, my wife and daughter were able to get enough sugar packets and peanut butter into my mouth to bring me around.  What I remember about the night--not being able to control my body.  My right arm and leg simply wouldn't do what I wanted them to do.  Plus, I couldn't speak.  I was terrified that I'd had a stroke, as my brother and sister did before they died.  Even after my blood sugar was at a normal level and everyone had gone back to sleep, I lay awake in bed, moving my fingers and toes, just to prove to myself that I was not paralyzed in any way.

That was my day.  Not uneventful.  Full of Ford Prefect moments.

Saint Marty is still on Earth, and he will be heading to the Animal Kingdom in a little while.


No comments:

Post a Comment