Friday, January 25, 2019

January 25: Relaxing Cup of Tea, Hotel Room in Calumet, Hot Tubbers

A little bit more about towels, in case you weren't sick of hearing about them . . .

Nestling quietly on top of the towel if Ford Prefect's satchel, the Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic began to wink more quickly.  Miles above the surface of the planet the huge yellow somethings began to fan out.  At Jodrell Bank, someone decided it was time for a nice relaxing cup of tea.

Well, here I sit in a hotel room in Calumet after a very long drive, through sometimes whiteout conditions, along Lake Superior into the Keweenaw Peninsula.  Just got back from the sauna, hot tub, and pool, and (wait for it--here's the connection to the above passage from Hitchhiker's) there are towels littering the bathroom floor, sans a Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic.

As I said, it was a stressful drive up, which I was expecting,  I'm kind of addicted to weather apps and the Weather Channel, so, before I travel anywhere, I'm monitoring the meteorological conditions for days.  I knew there was a winter storm warning and wind chill advisory, and I knew that I would be following the coastline of Lake Superior for a good portion of the trip.  Hence, driving blindly through billows of fine, white snow.

However, we made it safely.  My son got to swim.  My daughter and I got to hot tub and sauna.  My wife got to talk to a group of complete strangers in the hot tub (something she does frequently when we are in hotels and resorts).  The conclusion of the night was quite relaxing.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day of rehearsing and performing, since the rehearsal this evening was cancelled due to the weather.  The producer of the show had to drive up from the lower peninsula of Michigan, and she encountered the same issues that I did--blowing snow, whiteouts, icy roads, and -25 wind chills.  I think she arrived in Calumet just a little while ago (and it's 10:30 p.m. as I'm typing this).

I'm always excited to perform in front of a live audience, whether I'm acting, singing, or reading poetry.  There's nothing like the adrenaline rush it gives me.  Of course, many people would rather have three root canals than stand up in front of a crowd of strangers and speak.  Not me.  Or my wife (as evidenced by her befriending of the hot tubbers from downstate this evening).  My kids are kind of hams, as well.  They come by it naturally.

If you have nothing to do tomorrow evening, and you feel like taking a road trip (the weather is supposed to improve by tomorrow), stop by the Calumet Theatre at 7 p.m. for a little song, a little dance, a little poetry in your pants.  (Okay, that image is a little perverted, but I'm fresh out of seltzer.)

Saint Marty is thankful for a safe drive this evening.  And the hot tub and sauna.



No comments:

Post a Comment