Thursday, November 29, 2018

November 29: Be Cheery, Christmas Essay, "Joyeux Noel"

So be cheery, my lads, let your hearts never fail,
While the bold harpooneer is striking the whale!

Thursday night.  I'm trying to be cheery.  I don't plan on doing a whole lot.  Teaching is done for the week.  One day of work left.  I'm celebrating a little.  I've made it five more days, and I still have a job.  That's a blessing, I suppose.  Certainly, things could change come Monday.  This weekend, however, I am still gainfully employed.  I'll drink to that tonight.

I have reserved these next few hours to prewrite and write.  After I'm done with a couple blog posts, I will get a start on my annual Christmas essay.  I have some ideas, but they are all unformed at the moment.  Scraps really.  I will throw them onto a page and see what grows.  If I'm lucky, I'll get the seed of something fruitful.

At the moment, however, I'm watching one of my favorite Christmas movies--the French film Joyeux Noel.  It's about the Truce of 1914.  It's a beautiful story and fills me with hope in the goodness of people.  French, German, and Scottish soldiers coming together on the front lines of World War I to celebrate Christmas Eve.  One holy night of peace between enemies.  No Santa Claus.  No singing snowman or reindeer with glowing noses.  Just people, being the best they can be.

Hope.  I need that right now.  It is the season of light.  The world is tipping toward the longest night of the year.  Winter solstice.  After that, light takes over.  I think that I've been focusing way too much on darkness.  It's been kind of hard not to.  That's why I put on this film.  It reminds me that, in the middle of all the struggle, there's goodness to be found.

That's what I'm going to leave you with tonight.  Goodness.  Light.  Hope.

Saint Marty is thankful for all of those things.


No comments:

Post a Comment