Wednesday, November 28, 2018

November 28: Call Me Ishmael, Circling a Runway, Simple Blessings

Call me Ishmael.

Call me exhausted. 

I've been working all day, and now I'll be teaching all night.  It's that time of year when the grading piles up.  I won't be seeing daylight for a while.  It's all red pens and papers for me.  This evening, I'll be listening to student presentations for about three hours.

I have no news to report on the job front.  It feels like I'm in an airplane, circling a runway, waiting for clearance.  I'm not sure what the future holds.  Guess I'm doomed to just keep circling until I either get permission to land or run out of fuel.  Either way, I'll end up on the ground.

I've been thinking a lot about happiness today.  What makes me happy.  What makes me joyful.  What fills me with contentment.  On Monday, I finished an essay that I'd been working on for about a month.  I was happy with the final product.  So was my editor.  That filled my cup to the brim yesterday.  I was overflowing with gratitude.

Tonight, I'll be happy around 9 p.m. when I can walk out to my car, drive home, and put on my pajamas.  Be done with the day.  On the way home, I'll listen to a podcast I recently discovered.  It's called 'Tis the Podcast, and it's about Christmas movies and television specials.  That will bring me a great deal of happiness, as well.

Ultimately, it's the simple blessings in life that really make the difference.

Saint Marty just ate a brownie.  Simple blessing.  Big happiness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment