Saturday, November 17, 2018

November 17: Praying at the Bottom of the Sea, Ritual, Change

He paused a little; then kneeling in the pulpit's bows, folded his large brown hands across his chest, uplifted his closed eyes, and offered a prayer so deeply devout that he seemed kneeling and praying at the bottom of the sea.

Father Mapple at a church service that Ishmael attends.  Church services, whether they are Catholic or Methodist or Baptist, involve a certain amount of ritual.  You can't get away from it.  That's how organized religion works.  It's organized.  Tradition plays a big part in it.  Change doesn't happen very often.  Changing anything in a church is like turning the Titanic.  It doesn't happen quickly or easily.

Change.  Don't like it.  Never have.

Usually, I am at McDonald's on Saturday morning with my family.  That's our little tradition.  We sit there for a few hours, talking, listening to music, solving the world hunger and conflicts in the Middle East.  My sister, Sally, started this little ritual.  Since her death, it seems like a disservice to her memory if we're not sitting in our booth by 9 a.m. on Saturday.

Today, because of remodeling, the lobby of McDonald's is closed.  So, we are at Burger King instead.  Many of you are thinking, "Big deal!  Greasy BK food instead of greasy McD's food."  It's not necessarily about the good, however.  It's about the atmosphere and vibe.  Different place, different feel.

Of course, as I said above, I don't like change, big or small.  It bothers me.  I'm a creature of habit.  When I wake up in the morning, I know exactly what my day will hold.  For example, today, after our little breakfast peace summit at Burger King, I am planning on cleaning my house with my daughter and her boyfriend.  This afternoon, it's church.  Thanksgiving songs.  Tonight, we're putting Christmas decorations up at home.  My day.

You see what I mean.  My three constant readers know this about me.  I am the patron saint of habit and ritual.  There's something very comforting in hearing an old song on the radio, coming across an old episode of Bewitched or Gilligan's Island on the TV.  It's part nostalgia, I suppose.  Conjuring up old memories of bygone times (which can be dangerous if you allow yourself to get lost in them).  There's a feeling of safety in it, as well.

Of course, with habit and ritual comes the possibility of stagnation.  I know that change is a necessary part of life.  Almost every student I teach at the university has changed majors at least once (some multiple times).  It's a proven fact that most people change careers at least twice in their lives.  I, myself, ordered a different breakfast sandwich this morning than my normal sausage biscuit.

When the change is something I choose, as opposed to something that's forced upon me, I can get into that.  Embrace it, even.  However, when I'm told that I HAVE to do something, I find myself bridling a little.  For example, every Christmas morning, I usually play a Mass at my church.  This year, because of a change in pastor and pastor assignments, I am not playing a Mass this Christmas at all.  Not my choice, and I find myself a little upset about it.  I love playing Christmas songs and music.  Not to mention the fact that I'm losing money by not playing.  However, I have no voice in this decision.  It's necessary and unavoidable.

So, you see, this Christmas season will be different for me.  Perhaps I will appreciate being able to relax on Christmas morning.  Sit around in my pajamas.  Drink eggnog.  Watch A Christmas Story on TBS.  Then, go over to my parents' house for a Christmas breakfast.  It my be the start of a new Christmas tradition.   Maybe I'll learn to accept it.  Enjoy it, even.  Or, for the rest of my life, maybe I'll feel like something's missing on Christmas morning.  I don't know.

Saint Marty is thankful this morning for Bailey's and hot chocolate on a cold November night.  That's a tradition he can really get into.


No comments:

Post a Comment