Monday, October 27, 2014

October 27: Crappy Mood, Carl Sandburg, "Theme in Yellow"

I am in a really crappy mood this evening.  I have been vacillating between "I want everybody dead" and "Life is a cesspool of disappointment."  Don't know why this feeling has descended upon me.  Perhaps it has to do with the shorter days and longer nights.  Or maybe it's stress at work.  Whatever the reason, I certainly have been struggling to maintain a positive attitude recently.  Especially tonight.

It is All Hallow's Week.  Therefore I will be featuring Halloween poems this week.

The first is from Carl Sandburg.  Sandburg is not my favorite poet, but he does manage to capture the spirit of this time of year.

Saint Marty will try to be in a better frame of mind tomorrow.

Theme in Yellow

by:  Carl Sandburg

I spot the hills
With yellow balls in autumn.
I light the prairie cornfields
Orange and tawny gold clusters
And I am called pumpkins.
On the last of October
When dusk is fallen
Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o’-lantern
With terrible teeth
And the children know
I am fooling.


The scariest jack-o-lantern around

No comments:

Post a Comment