Monday, January 20, 2014

January 20: MLK Day, Poetry Workshop, "Web" Dip

Happy Martin Luther King Day.

Yes, I had to work today.  I was at the medical office at 5 a.m., sitting at my desk, shuffling papers, answering e-mails, figuring out what tasks I needed to complete.  However, I didn't have to teach at the university this afternoon, so I've had a good chunk of the day to prepare for my poetry workshop.

I have to admit that I find myself more than a little anxious about teaching poetry writing to a group of people.  It's not that I doubt my abilities to write poetry.  I'm just not so sure about teaching other people about the process of writing poetry.  I don't know why.  I've taught creative writing workshops before to all different age groups, from kindergartners on up.  I guess it's the whole idea of being the "expert" in  the classroom that gets me nervous.

I am no expert on poetry.  I've simply had more experience than most people.  Maybe that's the way I need to think about it.  I'm there to share the tricks I've learned over the years, not demonstrate how brilliant I am.  That just might take away some of the pressure I'm feeling.  I need to relax.  Have fun.  If I have fun, so will everyone else.

My question for this Web Dip Monday is:

Will I have fun tonight in the poetry workshop?

And the answer from Charlotte is:

"Tell me another story!" begged Wilbur.

Well, there you have it.  Wilbur's having fun listening to Charlotte's stories.  Fun.  The word of the day.


Now, if Saint Marty can just get Wilbur to show up for the poetry workshop this evening.

Time to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment