Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January 1: A Difficult E-Mail

Tomorrow, I have to send a very difficult e-mail to the pastor of the church where I used to be a paid organist.  In this e-mail, I will be resigning as the head of the worship committee and director of the junior choir.

The reason this e-mail is difficult is because I am basically withdrawing from all of the leadership roles I hold in the church.  I've held these positions for over ten years.  I've been an organist for the church for closer to 15 years.  I really love the work I do.

However, I can't afford to do it for free.  That's my dilemma.

I am trying to think of this situation as an opportunity.  I will be teaching a community schools poetry workshop.  I will find another church that needs/values my skills and talents as a musician and worship leader.  I will have more time to write.

In the meantime, my wife and I will be instituting more austerity measures in our household.  Turning down the thermostat a couple more degrees.  Taking showers only a few times a week.  Buying off-brand everything--cereals, deodorant, pasta, toilet paper.  More trips to St. Vincent de Paul and the Salvation Army.  I'm currently earning money by providing assistance to a person who recently had surgery--cleaning, vacuuming, making beds, emptying garbage cans. 

So, I will sit down with my laptop tomorrow and send that e-mail to the pastor.  As I said, it's not going to be easy.  But it's necessary.

Sort of like Saint Marty getting his appendix removed.

Me and the country of Greece

1 comment:

  1. keep thinking of it as an opportunity, that is a great outlook. You work very hard for your family, volunteering is great but you are right, it doesn't pay the bills

    ReplyDelete