Thursday, January 2, 2014

January 2: Call from a Friend

I got a phone call from a friend this morning.  She wanted to tell me about a church organist job at her church.  It was a good phone call.  It buoyed my spirits, gave me hope.

Later in the day, another person told me about Presbyterian and Episcopal churches in my home town that are in need of organists.  That's three possible job openings in less than 24 hours.  That's pretty encouraging.

I sent the e-mail to the pastor this morning, resigning from my leadership positions in the church.  I didn't expect much of a response.  Maybe something like, "I'm really sorry to hear that.  Are you sure you won't reconsider?"  Or, "You are going to be really missed.  I'll never be able to replace you."  Or, "Please don't do this.  Will you consider staying for $1500 per month, plus medical and dental coverage?"  A little begging.  Remorse.  Anything.

Basically, what I got back from the pastor was, "Thanks for letting me know.  I'll take it from here.  Good luck."  It was such a moving, impassioned reply.

Maybe Saint Marty will get a gold watch on Sunday.

Maybe it will be a Rolex

No comments:

Post a Comment