Monday, August 26, 2013

August 26: Feeling Better, First Day of Teaching, Magic 8-Ball Monday

I woke up this morning feeling a lot better than I have for a long time.  I'm still sore, but I'm not moving like a 95-year-old man on morphine.  I made some phone calls--scheduling doctor's appointments, canceling office hours at the university, arranging time off from my medical office job.  Then I did my lesson plan for teaching this afternoon.

I'm a little tired at the moment.  Perhaps I did a little too much, but I got so much accomplished.  I have a feeling I'm going to have to lie down before I teach.  I was planning on going for a walk after I was done typing this post, but I'm not too sure that's going to happen now.  First, a nap.  Then, maybe, a walk.

I'm not used to taking it easy.  I'm usually busy from the moment the alarm goes off until my head hits the pillow fifteen or sixteen hours later.  I like keeping busy.  Obviously.  I may take advantage of this down time and work on some new poems or my memoir or my 900-page study of the short stories of Flannery O'Connor.  Some slight diversion.

Well, it is Magic 8-Ball Monday.  I need to ask a question on this warm, humid morning.  Here goes:

Will I get to take the whole week off work?

And the answer from the Good Book of Salinger is:

While I was changing my shirt, I damn near gave my kid sister Phoebe a buzz, though.  I certainly felt like talking to her on the phone,  Somebody with sense and all...

Perhaps I need to listen to somebody with common sense.  My sister, who's a nurse, told me last night, "You just had major abdominal surgery.  Maybe you should take it easy for a while."


Saint Marty may have to follow that advice, even if he goes out of his head with boredom.

Do I stink?

No comments:

Post a Comment