Thursday, January 31, 2013

January 31: Stephen King Postponed

No Book Club meeting tonight.  We moved it to next week Friday because of the weather.  While the snow has stopped, the wind is brutal.  When I got home, the temperature gauge on my car was reading four degrees.  Factoring in the arctic clipper rattling through the trees, I'm sure the wind chill was well below zero, and it's not supposed to get much warmer tomorrow.  Nobody wanted to brave that kind of weather, not even for Stephen King.

So, our discussion of 11/22/63 has been postponed until next Friday evening.  I'm glad to have a little more time with the book.  I'm still about 200 pages from the ending.  Usually, I read the final chapter of a book first, to avoid surprises.  I don't like surprises.  I'm resisting the urge to read ahead.  I desperately want to know if JFK dies. but I'm trying to follow the rules for once (possibly for the first time in my life).  I knew that Harry Potter died and came back to life before I even looked at page one of The Deathly Hallows.  I knew Mary Magdalene was under the Louvre before I met Robert Langdon in The DaVinci Code.  And I knew the perp of every Nancy Drew mystery before Nancy even had her first clue.

I'm finding little pleasure in not knowing the conclusion of 11/22/63.  In fact, it's causing a great deal of stress and anxiety.  I know most of the enjoyment of books is supposed to come from the twists and turns of the narrative.  That's why authors spend time on things like plot outlines and character development.  It's just not what puts wind in my sails.

Saint Marty prefers something non-chronological.  Something that starts with "and they lived happily ever after" and works its way back to "Once upon a time..."

Let's start here...

No comments:

Post a Comment