Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 29: Darkness and Freezing Rain

This morning, freezing rain closed all the schools in my area of the Upper Peninsula.  For the third time in less than two weeks, my kids got to stay home from school for the day.  Tomorrow, the National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch.  From Wednesday morning to Wednesday night, heavy snow is predicted.  I know my daughter already has her heart set on another snow day.

I'm staring at the dark parking lot in front of my office window at the university.  It looks calm outside.  The kind of calm that makes it hard to believe a snowstorm is on the way.  I'm sure the puddles are starting to turn to ice by now, and I'm not looking forward to the drive home.  Yet, there's a light in the window glass.  On top of the hill, I can see a house that still has it's Christmas lights up.  Green and red and gold against the black night.

Where there's darkness, there's also light.  Saint Marty needs to be reminded of that every once in a while.

Keeping my eyes on the light

No comments:

Post a Comment