Sunday, December 2, 2012

December 2: Book Club, Favorite Thing, New Cartoon

One of my favorite things happened this afternoon.  The members of my book club descended on my house at 2 p.m. for an afternoon of munchies and literary kvetching.  Actually, there really wasn't much kvetching.  Everybody liked the book, which was Bonnie Jo Campbell's Once Upon a River.  Usually, the group is split--half of us loving the book and half of us loathing it.  This time, it was pretty unanimous.  Bonnie Jo Campbell is a damn fine writer.

When I was in grad school downstate, I took a fiction workshop in which Bonnie Jo was a student.  From the first story she submitted for critique, I knew she was something special.  So did every other person in the class, including the instructor.  Her stories were surprising and raw.  Each one was better than the previous one.  I was reduced to making comments like this on her stuff:  "I really like the font you chose for this story."  (Actually, it wasn't that bad, but most of us couldn't find a whole lot to criticize.)

As I read Once Upon a River, I felt like I was back in class with her.  The main character of the book, Margo Crane, reminded me of the main characters of all her stories--independent to the point of being wild.  The narrative was laced with violence and sexuality, drugs and salvation.  Think Huckleberry Finn on crystal meth.  I loved rowing up the Stark River with Bonnie Jo Campbell.

And I love getting together with my book club groupies.  We are one, big, happy, dysfunctional family. We know each other's likes and dislikes.  We know who's Republican and who's Democrat.  As I said, we don't always see eye-to-eye, but, when one of our own is struggling, we offer shoulders to cry on, laughter to relieve the tears, and a lot of good food to eat.

Everyone should have a book club like mine.  One of our members affectionately describes the group like this:  "I am a member of the strangest book club in the world."

Saint Marty would agree with that description, and he wouldn't change it for the world.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment