Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August 1: Human Sympathy, Nuts, Bad Mood

But what did Scrooge care?  It was the very thing he liked.  To edge his way along the crowded paths of life, warning all human sympathy to keep its distance, was what the knowing ones call "nuts" to Scrooge.

Everyone familiar with A Christmas Carol knows this little passage from the beginning of the novel (except maybe the "nuts" part, which never makes it into the stage or screen adaptations).  It describes a man who has a hatred of humanity, who sees fellow human beings as annoyances.  Scrooge is a hater.  He hates all people.

I'm with Scrooge today.  Yesterday, I was in a great mood.  That great mood lasted all day long.  When I got home last night, I went for a two-and-a-half mile run.  Then I gave my son a bath, put him to bed, watered my pumpkins, and sat down to watch the Olympics.  Yesterday was sepia.

Today is verging on Hitchcock noir.  A friend recently shared this bit of wisdom with me:  "I used to be a people person, but people ruined it for me."  That pretty much sums up my feelings today.  I don't want to deal with anyone.  I call these kinds of days "cave days," as in I just want to crawl into the deepest, darkest part of a cave and stay there.  Maybe I should start calling them Ebenezer days or Scrooge days.  Anyway, I just don't want to deal with people.

I'm sure my mood will improve as the day progresses.  I won't need ghosts to aid me with that attitude adjustment.  I just need time.  And food.  Maybe some caffeine.  And a healthy dose of sarcasm.

Saint Marty doesn't hate all people.  Just stupid ones.  And annoying ones.  And whining ones.  And loud ones.  And quiet ones.  And...

Nuts to people

No comments:

Post a Comment