Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February 5: Long Day, Daughter-less Night

I'm sitting in my office at the university, talking with my office mate, "Reese."  Reese has been in this office with me for over four years.  It's a pretty comfortable professional marriage.  We get along great, to the point where we can almost finish each other's sentences.  She is the best office mate I have ever had at this university.  And I've had quite the parade of people, from an uncontrolled diabetic to a man who was put on trial for CSC with a minor.  (By the way, that last guy doesn't teach here anymore.)

It has been a long day.  Tonight, my daughter is staying at grandma's.  She's going on a trip tomorrow to see Lord of the Dance with her aunts.  Her bags are packed, and her homework should be in her backpack.  I'm picking her up from dance and dropping her off at my parents' house.  My wife and I will have a daughter-less night.

It's strange.  When my kids are gone, I really miss the chaos they bring into our household.  When they're at home and in full two horsemen of the Apocalypse mode, I want to lock myself in the bathroom and suck my thumb.  Most parents can relate.  I think.

Saint Marty needs to get moving.  His daughter is probably standing in the snow, trying to sell matches outside her dance studio to pay for her Lord of the Dance trip.

My office mate.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment