Monday, June 18, 2012

June 18: "Carol" Dip Monday, On My Mind, Rain

Not a very auspicious start this morning.  It is raining barrels.  I heard it hammering my air conditioner as I made my way to the bathroom.  It sounded like I was under attack.  Plus, the only reason I'm coherent and functioning this morning is because of a big cup of Diet Mountain Dew and a Dove chocolate.  The breakfast of champions.

I began surveying my head for a possible subject for this morning's post as soon as my alarm rudely snatched me out of sleep.  It wasn't a very fruitful survey.  Here is what I found on my mind:

  1. I'm going to a dinner with former U. S. Poet Laureate Donald Hall tomorrow night (more to come on this subject).
  2. I have a meeting at church tonight (not exciting).
  3. I have twelve hours at the office ahead of me (my longest day of the week).
  4. I'm hungry for some peanuts (random thought).
  5. I introduced my daughter to the film The Princess Bride last night (still one of my fave movies of all time--and my daughter loved it).
  6. Peanuts again (I'm really hungry).
  7. I need to get a new TV (yes, I am still dealing with the aftermath of my son's destructive temper tantrum from Friday).
  8. I have to work on my poem today (it's becoming gargantuan).
  9. I really like blueberry muffins (again, I'm hungry).
  10. Lindsay Lohan just needs to disappear (I'm tired of hearing her name and her drama--she wasn't that talented to begin with).
  11. Peanuts (me want some...).
So, that's just a random sampling of what's going through my brain at the moment.  Pretty scary.

And now it's time for a Carol dip.  I've been hunting around for a good question to ask the great book of Dickens.  I have a good feeling from the Spirits of Christmas this a.m.  My query has to do with my broken TV:

Am I going to get a new TV this week?

And the answer from A Christmas Carol is:

"Ghost of the Future!" he exclaimed, "I fear you more than any Spectre I have seen.  But, as I know your purpose is to do me good, and as I hope to live to be another man from what I was, I am prepared to bear you company, and do it with a thankful heart.  Will you not speak to me?"

Scrooge has just met the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, and he's scared out of his wits (everyone is afraid of the future, unless she/he is a billionaire or a monk).  However, Scrooge has faith in the phantom's intentions, and he's grateful for the future.

Looks like Saint Marty's getting a new 48" plasma screen TV this week.  He accepts it with a thankful heart.

That's what I'm talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment