Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1: All in His Best, Blithe Sounds, Choosing Happiness

He dressed himself "all in his best," and at last got out into the streets.  The people were by this time pouring forth, as he had seen them with the Ghost of Christmas Present; and walking with his hands behind him, Scrooge regarded everyone with a delighted smile.  He looked so irresistibly pleasant, in a word, that three or four good-humoured fellows said, "Good morning, Sir!  A Merry Christmas to you!"  And Scrooge said often, afterwards, that of all the blithe sounds he had ever heard, those were the blithest in his ears.

At the end of the novel, nothing has really changed in Scrooge's life.  He's still a businessman.  He still lives in the same moldy, old house.  He still works in the same offices.  His only living blood relative is still his nephew Fred.  He's still a wealthy man.  However, in 24 hours, he's gone from "bah humbug" to "Merry Christmas."  And the only thing that's really changed is Scrooge, himself.

Scrooge's entire mindset has altered.  Instead of seeing greed and stupidity in people, Scrooge now sees goodness and hope.  When he hears someone say "Merry Christmas," Scrooge no longer thinks of boiling the speaker in a vat of figgy pudding.  He welcomes the salutation as one of the blithest sounds he's ever heard.  Scrooge is choosing happiness.

And that's my wisdom for this morning.  A coworker just told me she got pulled over by a State Police trooper for speeding on her way to work.  That would have been enough to put me in a shitty mood for the rest of the day.  The State Trooper just gave my coworker a stern lecture and a warning.  My coworker said, "That guy was really nice.  I'm counting my blessings."  My coworker is choosing happiness.

I'm going to try to walk around in the world today "all in my best."  No bitching.  No catty remarks.  (Well, maybe a few.  I can't go completely cold turkey.)  No "bah humbugs" in any form.  I will greet life today with a smile.

Saint Marty will let you know how it works out for him.

This would make me blithe today

No comments:

Post a Comment