Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 12: Date Night, Cajun Food, Friends

My wife and I have a babysitter tonight.  We hired the babysitter so we could go to a counseling session together.  (Don't worry.  There's nothing wrong.  We are going to counseling to keep things on an even keel.  No stormy seas in our marriage at the present time.)  Then we decided to call up some friends to see if they wanted to go out for dinner.  It all sort of fell into place rather easily.

We'll be eating Cajun cuisine.  It's a restaurant my wife and I have never tried before, so it's going to be an adventure.  I may be trying some fried alligator.  I'm not sure what else is on the menu.  I really don't care.  The food is secondary.  The primary focus is my wife and our friends.  Adult conversation.  Adult dinner. 

My wife and I haven't been out on an actual date for several months.  Babysitters are expensive.  Then there's the cost of dinner or movies or whatever we decide to do.  It's just too much money to fork out on a regular basis.  We have "mini" date nights, when we actually don't go out anywhere.  We just sit at home, with the TV off, and, after the kids are in bed, we just talk.  It's relaxing and reconnects us.  We talk about things that have been on our minds.  We talk about things that are completely inane.  We talk about politics.  We talk about work.  We talk about the episode of SpongeBob our son was just watching.  We talk about anything.

Tonight, with our friends, we will talk about poetry and food and movies and literature and sex and travel.  It will be three or four hours of meaty conversation.  It will be heavenly.

Saint Marty just isn't sure what to order with his conversation:  red or white wine.

Which goes better with SpongeBob?

No comments:

Post a Comment