Friday, March 9, 2012

March 9: Nothing According to Plan, Taking Down the Tree

Nothing I've wanted to do today has gone exactly as planned.  I wanted to be done at work at noon.  I left closer to 12:30 p.m.  I wanted to get the grocery shopping done spending less than $100.  I spent $104.  I wanted to clean my house this afternoon.  My three-year-old decided not to take a nap until close to 3 p.m.  I wanted to start undecorating our Christmas tree before I had to take my daughter to dance class tonight.  Didn't get that done, either.

Only one thing went as planned:  I submitted my new book of poems to another poetry contest that I don't stand a chance of winning.  That was on my agenda, and it's done.  One checkmark on the to-do list.

Basically, the rest of this day has been pretty messed up.  Now, after I pick up my daughter from dance, I have to go home, give my son a bath, get him to bed, clean the house, and take down the Christmas tree.  It's going to be a really long night.

Triple dog dare you to say anything about my Christmas tree!
Before you even think anything negative about the fact that I still have my Christmas tree up in my house, let me just say...I like Christmas trees.  They make me feel peaceful and happy.  The first week or so after the tree comes down are very difficult for me.  Very blue.  Therefore, I leave my Christmas tree up as long as my family can stand it.  Tonight is the night for it to be undecorated, boxed up, and carried to the attic.  It's going to be a very sad few hours in my household.

Usually on the night the Christmas tree comes down, I play Christmas music or watch a favorite Christmas movie.  I'm sort of feeling in a Christmas With the Kranks mood, although I could be talked into The Santa Clause.  My wife always pushes for A Christmas Story, but I really am not in a Ralphie mood.  Nor am I in a George Bailey mood.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the evening unfolds.

 Saint Marty is in an I-don't-feel-like-doing-anything-else mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment