Wednesday, March 7, 2012

March 7: Nuts, Meeting, Human Sympathy

But what did Scrooge care?  It was the very thing he liked.  To edge his way along the crowded paths of life, warning all human sympathy to keep its distance, was what the knowing ones call "nuts" to Scrooge.

I have no idea what that "nuts" comment means.  Let me get that out of the way.  However, this morning, I'm really feeling the first part of this little passage quite strongly.  I understand the compulsion to shy away from crowds of people.  I'm not much of a small talker.  The kind of banter that goes on between people who know each other superficially strikes me as a big waste of time.  I know what you're thinking right now:  "He must be a blast at dinner parties!"

Let me correct your misconception.  I didn't say I was bad at small talk and superficial banter.  I said I hated being in situations that require me to participate in it.  I can bullshit with the best of 'em.  Hey, I was an English major.  There's a fair amount of bullshitting that goes along with that degree.  I can make the most dull and dreadful people think I really care about what they're saying.  It's one of my many talents.  That doesn't mean I enjoy doing it.

The reason I'm on this little rant so early is that I have to attend a meeting later this morning that basically will require me to do everything that I've just discussed.  Make small talk.  Be charming.  Pretend I care.  I much prefer to stay in my own little box, with the shades drawn, warning all human sympathy to keep its distance.  Just like Scrooge.  However, this meeting is necessary, and I have to appear to be a team player.  Therefore, I will be one of the Stepford employees today.  Stand when they tell me to stand.  Sit when they tell me to sit.  Applaud when they tell me to applaud.  And make small talk.  Lots of it.

And the knowing ones call that "nuts" to Saint Marty.  (What the hell does that mean?)

I wish...

No comments:

Post a Comment