Thursday, March 8, 2012

March 8: Scrooge Scrooge, Loss, Change

Scrooge never painted out Old Marley's name.  There it stood, years afterwards, above the warehouse door:  Scrooge and Marley.  The firm was known as Scrooge and Marley.  Sometimes people new to the business called Scrooge Scrooge, and sometimes Marley, but he answered to both names:  it was all the same to him.

There's a lot that can be gleaned from this early paragraph of A Christmas Carol.  First, Scrooge is cheap.  Second, several years have passed since the death of Jacob Marley.  Third, Scrooge isn't that attached to his surname. Fourth, Scrooge was very attached to his dead partner.  And fifth, Scrooge is not very fond of change.

Some of these details are quite endearing to me.  I, myself, can be cheap,  but not quite to the John Boehner degree of Ebenezer Scrooge (I actually believe everyone deserves food, education, and health care).  I, myself, have lost people very close to me (friends and family).  I used to intensely dislike my given name (Martin); I've gotten used to it.  And, if you haven't noticed, I am not very fond of any kind of change.

All of these qualities make me understand Scrooge's character much more deeply.  For instance, Scrooge's attachment to the dead Jacob Marley stems from the loss earlier in his life of his sister, Fan.  I honestly believe if Fan had lived, Scrooge would never have turned out the way he did.  Fan wouldn't have allowed it.  She would have bitch slapped him back to reality.  All Republicans should have a Fan in their lives.

Of course, the whole hating change part of Scrooge is really the root of his problem.  If Scrooge was more at peace with change, he would have recovered from his sister's death.  He would have overcome his fear of being poor.  He would have painted over Marley's name.  And he would be partying at Fred's house every Christmas day.  That is not the case, however.

One of the original control freaks
Yes, in this post, I'm talking about the necessity to accept change.  Notice that I said "accept" change, not "court" change or "encourage" change.  My (and Scrooge's) problem with change is that I do everything I can to avoid it.  That's why Scrooge is constantly focused on his wealth, to deflect the slings and arrows of the future.  I think I share Scrooge's mindset about money:  if I have money, I can avoid the pains and hurts of Christmases yet to come.  I know that way of thinking is completely erroneous (translation:  full of shit).  However, it gives me comfort, a sense of control. 

It's a false sense of control, but I'll take it.  So does Scrooge.

Saint Marty and Scrooge, a pair of control freaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment