Monday, December 26, 2011

December 26: A Very Merry Christmas

I had a great Christmas.

After four church services, tons of wrapping, and a frantic version of "Carol of the Bells" on Christmas morning, I was pretty much toast when I hit my parents' house for the family orgy of presents.  A few years ago, we instituted a name-picking tradition with my siblings, mother , and father.  My father chose my name this year.  I wasn't expecting a whole lot.

They put a box in my lap.  It wasn't very heavy.  I sat there and watched other people open their gifts.  Then, I started to unwrap mine.  It was the size of a shoebox.  The first box was from Amazon.  Great, I thought, I got a book.  I'm always happy with new reading material.  I opened the Amazon box, and, low and behold, inside was...

AN iPAD 2!!!!!!
I was so astounded, I couldn't speak.  The only thing I remember saying, over and over, is, "Oh, my God!  Oh, my God!"  The rest of the day is kind of a blur.  I don't remember what anybody else received, including my kids.  Later on, I did make a Brownie Trifle and crescent weenies for Christmas with my wife's family in the evening.  Even then, I just sort of floated through the rest of the holiday.

I got home and put my son to bed about 8:30 p.m.  Then, I just sort of sat on the couch and basked in the presence of my present.  My father and oldest sister pooled their funds to purchase it.  My sister told me it was my birthday present, too, because she didn't get me anything back in October.

Saint Marty went to bed with visions of sugar apps dancing in his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment