Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 31: Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Visits, SH on the Way

Today is the feast day that commemorates the Virgin Mary travelling to Jerusalem (or nearly to Jerusalem) to visit her cousin Elizabeth, who was pregnant with John the Baptist.  Of course, most Christians know how the story goes:  "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb.  Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and cried out in a loud voice:  'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.  But who am I that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?  Behold, the moment your greeting sounded in my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.  Blessed is she who believed that the Lord's words to her would be fulfilled.'"

Yup, visiting.  In less than a week now, SH (the relative whose visit I've been dreading) will be flying into town.  I've had over a month now to steel myself for this month-long exercise in patience and generosity.  At the beginning of May, I was really looking forward to the summer months:  running in the hot sun, swimming in the pool, reading books not connected to teaching or school.  Now, I'm hoping to salvage July and August.  I'll recover during those months.

My friend Wonder Twin told me this morning that I need to be the bigger person.  I have to be tolerant, compassionate, and kind toward SH.  I told Wonder Twin I was tired of being tolerant, compassionate, and kind toward SH when she's small-minded, cruel, and ignorant.  I know the whole thing Jesus said about turning the other cheek, but I'd rather drop my pants and tell SH to kiss my ass.  However, I know those aren't the cheeks Jesus was talking about.

Elizabeth recognized the presence of Jesus in Mary over two thousand years ago.  Elizabeth had the Holy Spirit on her side.  I'm not quite feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit right now.  I'm having a hard time with SH even being in the same state as I am, let alone the same room.  But Wonder Twin is right.  I need to take the high road.  I hope that doesn't mean praying SH gets a month-long migraine is the wrong thing to do.

Kidding.  I'm just kidding.  Really.

Today, on the celebration of Mary's visit to Elizabeth, I search for the presence of Christ in SH's upcoming visit.  I try to keep my heart and mind open to grace.  Unfortunately, grace isn't always rainbows and chocolate cake.  Sometimes, grace is a daisy growing out of a pile of cowshit.

Saint Marty, looking for his daisy.


No comments:

Post a Comment