Monday, May 2, 2011

May 2: Final Grades, Birthday Present, Short Story

My whole goal today was to submit the final semester grades for the classes I taught and to finish writing the short story for my friend's birthday present tomorrow.  Well, I completed the first part of that task at about 8 a.m.  The rest of the morning was spent completing the second part of that task.

Grades submitted.  Check.

Story done.  Check-check.

I will be giving my friend her cocker spaniel story tomorrow.  Also, tomorrow, I will post my cocker spaniel story.  I think it turned out really well.  It has made a few people cry, which either means it was really, really bad or really, really sentimental or really, really good.  Unless told otherwise, I'm going with the last option.  When I post it tomorrow, you can comment and let me know if it sucks.

I've also been invited to do a couple of poetry readings this summer in the Marquette area.  That's very exciting.  I haven't done a full-blown poetry reading in a long time.  We'll see how it goes.  It's very strange.  My Lenten poetry exercise seems to be reaping benefits in more ways than one.

Of course, last night I watched President Obama announce on TV that Osama bin Laden had been killed.  I'm not the kind of person who will join a street party celebrating the death of a mass murderer.  I do believe in justice, but the kind of jubilation being shown on the news seems more appropriate for the success of an Olympic hockey team, not the killing of a terrorist.  I think the world is going to be a safer place without bin Laden around, but I'm not going to host a Bye bye bin Laden Luau.  I do think the 9-11 families will have a little peace now.  But let's remember:  the death of one man doesn't make up for the loss of over three thousand lives.

I'm not against vengeance, as long as it involves the humiliation of writers who don't deserve to be published or win awards.  (Can you hear me, Professor Ihateyourshittywriting?)

Saint Marty just prays for peace, for the entire world.

You might not know this is funny, but it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment