Sunday, March 17, 2019

March 17: Chinese, George Bilgere, "Corned Beef and Cabbage"

In honor of Saint Patrick's Day, I had Chinese for dinner. 

However, Saint Marty has a poem about a more traditional Irish meal . . .

Corned Beef and Cabbage

by:  George Bilgere

I can see her in the kitchen,
Cooking up, for the hundredth time,
A little something from her
Limited Midwestern repertoire.
Cigarette going in the ashtray,
The red wine pulsing in its glass,
A warning light meaning
Everything was simmering
Just below the steel lid
Of her smile, as she boiled
The beef into submission,
Chopped her way
Through the vegetable kingdom
With the broken-handled knife
I use tonight, feeling her
Anger rising from the dark
Chambers of the head
Of cabbage I slice through,
Missing her, wanting
To chew things over
With my mother again.


No comments:

Post a Comment