Friday, March 8, 2019

March 8: Poetry Appreciation Chairs, The Red Jacket Jamboree, Summer Camp

More on Vogon poetry . . .

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz smiled very slowly.  This was done not so much for effect as because he was trying to remember the sequence of muscle movements.  He had had a terribly therapeutic yell at his prisoners and was now feeling quite relaxed and ready for a little callousness.

The prisoners sat in Poetry Appreciation chairs--strapped in.  Vogons suffered no illusions as to the regard their works were generally held in.  Their early attempts at compositions had been part of a bludgeoning insistence that they be accepted as a properly evolved and cultured race, but now the only thing that kept them going was sheer bloody-mindedness.

I am sitting in my kitchen, waiting for a friend to pick me up for a trip to Calumet.  This weekend, I will be performing in The Red Jacket Jamboree at the Calumet Theatre.  I have rehearsal tonight.  Rehearsal tomorrow afternoon.  Show tomorrow night.  Seven o'clock.  (I include all this information just in case some of you disciples out there would like to come to the performance, be strapped into Poetry Appreciation chairs, and listen to me read.  It won't be quite as bad as Postetnic Vogon Jeltz's poetry, I promise.)

I am looking forward to seeing the musicians and other performers in Calumet.  They have become like family to me.  A loud, sometimes completely inappropriate, family.  The kind of people I love being around and creating with.  Tonight, I'll be bunking with a group of the Red Jack people because my family won't be driving up to Calumet until tomorrow afternoon to see the show.

When I venture out of the confines of my family like this, I often feel like a little kid going off to summer camp.  Sort of unsure.  Somewhat self-conscious.  Wanting everyone to like me.  I remember those childhood emotions.  They weren't pleasant.  I always carry that insecure little boy around with me wherever I go.

But I really have nothing to worry about.  These people know me, respect me, and like me.  I am sure of that.  I won't be the last person chosen for a team to play kickball, if you get my meaning.  These are theater people.  They sort of welcome the weird and rejected.  Most of them were weird and rejected at some point in their lives.  I fit right in.

The sun in shining, and the snow is melting this afternoon.  The drive up to Calumet will be easy and fun.  The evening rehearsal will be a family reunion, maybe with a little alcohol involved afterward.  Tomorrow's rehearsal will be a little intense.  When family gets together, you have to expect that.  And tomorrow's show will be a party.

Saint Marty is ready to get his Red Jacket on.


No comments:

Post a Comment