Thursday, March 14, 2019

March 14: Vogon Armpits, Good Things, Three Trinities

Arthur and Ford are about to be thrown into outer space . . .

The long steel-lined corridor echoed to the feeble struggles of the two humanoids clamped firmly under rubbery Vogon armpits.

"This is great," spluttered Arthur, "this is really terrific.  Let go of me, you brute!"

The Vogon guard dragged them on.

"Don't you worry," said Ford, "I'll think of something."  He didn't sound hopeful.

"Resistance is useless!" bellowed the guard.

"Just don't say things like that," stammered Ford.  "How can anyone maintain a positive mental attitude if you're saying things like that?"

I promised you all a Pollyanna-ish post this evening, and I intend to deliver.  Yes, I still am struggling with depression, which, I imagine, is like being clamped firmly under the rubbery armpit of a Vogon.  Those feelings haven't disappeared.  However, a promise is a promise.

So, a list of good things that have happened/will happen today:


  1. One of my best friends visited me at work and brought me some delicious muffins for breakfast.  We sat and talked.  She understands my struggles and made my morning so much brighter.
  2. I had lunch with another one of my best friends, Missy.  I've been working with her for close to 20 some years.  She always makes me feel better about myself and my life.  (She also understands my mean girl side.)
  3. This evening, at the Carnegie Library in my hometown, I will be giving a reading in celebration of being reelected Poet Laureate of the Upper Peninsula for 2019-2020.  This event is all about gratitude, for the support I've received throughout the years from the library staff and community.
  4. Tonight, I am also attending a poetry open mic event with another of my best friends.  (Yes, I have been blessed by best friends today!)  It will be a completely stress-free time, eating, drinking, and listening to poets with an edge.  Love it.
  5. I was contacted this afternoon by a reporter from Interlochen Public Radio who wants to interview me about being Poet Laureate for a second term.  This invitation came out of the blue, and it made me both humbled and filled with thankfulness.
  6. Everybody in my household is healthy.
  7. My daughter is going to states with her musical theater solo.
  8. My son didn't end up in the principal's office at all this month.  So far.
  9. I still have a job.  For now.
Okay, I can tell that the list is verging on a downward trend, so I better stop at nine.  It's a good Biblical number.  Three trinities.  

It's going to be a wonderful night.

This has been a message from Saint Pollyanna.



1 comment: