Monday, October 9, 2017

October 9: Writing a Poem, Joy Harjo, "Faith"

Because it is my birthday month, and because I saw Joy Harjo perform on my birthday, and because Joy Harjo is fierce and amazing, I am bestowing the honor of Poet of the Week on Joy Harjo. 

I was asked to write a poem for a Halloween spectacle taking place this October 28 in Marquette, Michigan.  I struggled.  Tore more of my hair out (and I don't have that much to spare).  Rubbed my head until it gleamed (I use it as a kind of stress ball).  Nothing worked.  Then, I saw Joy Harjo read last Thursday and bought her book.

Her myth poems gave me the inspiration that I needed.  I finished my poem last night, polished it a little this morning.  At 10 a.m., I wasn't embarrassed to share it at the meeting I attended with the directors of the spectacle.

So, Saint Marty owes Joy Harjo a little faith this week.

Faith

by:  Joy Harjo

In Krakow
The spires of churches
Fit the skyline exactly
They have been rendered
By prayers of the faithful
Who built the church on their knees
My faith is a limp thing
In this distant city
Strung together
With cold rains
And clouds
Crows mark the border
Between despair
And joy
They are
Poets of noise--
Needed, because the question
Is too large to fit
One city, one church,
Or one country
I am far away from the answer
Wherever I go
This dark month
Of the overthrow
The sleep of idiots
Would be sweet
But disastrous
I might miss
The feet of god
Disguised as trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment