Saturday, May 31, 2014

May 31: Smelliest Creature, Forgivenes, New Cartoon

"You smell just the way you are," remarked a lamb who'd just walked in.  "I can smell you from here.  You're the smelliest creature in the place."

Some of the animals in the Zuckerman barn are not very nice.  The lamb above is a veritable bee-atch.  Templeton is, well, a rat.  The goose can be quite annoying-annoying-annoying.  The barn pretty much reminds me of being in middle school, minus gym class and embarrassing body functions at inopportune times.


It's not always easy to be kind, especially with people who have hurt you in the past.  As a Christian, I'm supposed to forgive and turn the other cheek.  And then turn it again.  And again.  And again.  Sometimes, that's not the easiest thing to do.

Currently, I'm in a situation where someone who has hurt me in the past has, literally, come home to roost.  I'm trying to be kind and patient.  I'm reminding myself that I love this person, despite her shortcomings.  Yet, I find myself struggling and conflicted.  I want to be angry and petty.  Instead, I have to play nice.  For the next three months.

Being a good person is not always easy.  Being a good Christian is sometimes a pain in the ass.  Grudges are against the rules.  Snarky comments are frowned upon.  And putting ground-up glass in meatloaf is a capital offense.

Saint Marty is going to be either a real saint or a real felon by the end of the summer.

Confessions of Saint Marty




No comments:

Post a Comment