Tuesday, June 13, 2017

June 13: A Bum, Sick Daughter, Kindness and Patience

The visitor from outer space made a gift to Earth of a new Gospel.  In it, Jesus really was a nobody, and a pain in the neck to a lot of people with better connections than he had.  He still got to say all the lovely and puzzling things he said in the other Gospels.

So the people amused themselves one day by nailing him to a cross and planting the cross in the ground.  There couldn't possibly be any repercussions, the lynchers thought.  The reader would have to think that, too, since the new Gospel hammered home again and again what a nobody Jesus was.

And then, just before the nobody died, the heavens opened up, and there was thunder and lightning.  The voice of God came crashing down.  He told the people that he was adopting the bum as his son, giving him the full powers and privileges of The Son of the Creator of the Universe throughout all eternity.  God said this:  From this moment on, He will punish horribly anybody who torments a bum who has no connections!

I kind of like the Gospel of the visitor from outer space.  It really does fall in line with the other Gospels, in a way.  The Gospel of Matthew says, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."  So, basically, anything that is done to a bum or homeless person is done to Christ/God.  It's what my kids are taught in school, too.  Treat others the way you want to be treated.  It's all about spreading kindness throughout the world.

It has been a long day or so, but my wife has been covered with so much kindness.  So much prayer and good will.  I spoke with her this morning, and she had a rough night.  Not really feeling the greatest this morning, either.  But, if all goes well, she will be discharged later this afternoon.  That's the plan, anyway. 

I spent the morning at the doctor's office with my daughter, who has developed what I thought was strep throat.  Turns out that it's not strep, but the doctor put her on antibiotics because of the severity of the infection.  She's lying down now, and I'm waiting to pick up the prescription for her from the pharmacy.

So, I am the caretaker for two people now.  I don't mind.  The word of the day is going to be "kindness."  Maybe "patience," too.  At the moment, I am running short on patience, because the doctor has not called in my daughter's prescription yet.  It's throwing a monkey wrench in my plans for this morning.  It was supposed to be simple:  One, take my daughter to the doctor.  Two, pick up my daughter's medicine.  Three, go to the hospital to pick up my wife.  Simple.

However, as with anything in life, it's never simple.  So, I am chanting my mantra:  kindness and patience, kindness and patience, kindness and patience.

Saint Marty is thankful today for kindness and patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment