Tuesday, December 3, 2013

December 3: I'm a Wonder Boy

I'm sitting on my couch, watching the movie The Wonder Boys with Michael Douglas.  It's one of my favorite films.  It's about a man who wrote one hugely successful novel and then slowly descended into writer's block.  He's been working on a new novel for seven years, creating a 2000-plus-page manuscript.  It's fantastic.  Funny and a little depressing.

I sometimes think I'm a wonder boy, but I'm really not.  I'm a good teacher.  A decent poet.  Good father.  I try hard to be the best person I can be.  Often, I fail miserably, on all fronts.  But, I keep picking myself up, dusting myself off, and getting back into the fight.

That's what I'm going to do tomorrow morning.  I'm climbing back into the boxing ring.

Just call Saint Marty "Mike Tyson," minus the ear-biting and spousal abuse.

Pass the salt, please

No comments:

Post a Comment