Sunday, July 15, 2012

July 15: The Day After, New Cartoon

Back when I was in high school and Ronald Reagan was President, the ABC network aired a film titled The Day After.  It was about an all-out nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union.  It was the height of the Cold War, and Reagan had everyone wound up about the "Evil Empire."  A nuclear holocaust seemed a very real and present possibility.

The reason I'm thinking about this film is because it is the day after the Big Brothers Big Sisters Fun Run, and I'm currently dealing with its aftermath.  I'm a little sore and tired.  The sore part is from the race.  The tired part is from being out until past midnight for a fireworks display last night.

Of course, it's upwards of ninety degrees today, and I did go for another run after church.  That could have something to do with my physical condition, which I would categorize as not quite nuclear apocalyptic.  I can still bend over and pick my son's toys up from the floor without getting stuck in the shape of a comma.  My hair all fell out, but that happened a long time ago.

It's a pretty lazy afternoon, recuperating and relaxing.  Hot dogs for dinner.  Perfect for a July evening.  The only thing missing is the watermelon or pecan pie.

Maybe Saint Marty could get Aunt Bee to whip up the pie and Barney to pick up the melon.

Confessions of Saint Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment