Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3: Rambling, Phone Call, Last Day of School

Today is the last day of school for my daughter, who is in the fourth grade.  In previous years, I've always experienced a pang of loss on this day.  My daughter has always had great teachers.  This year has been a little different, and, to make a long story short, I'm actually relieved the school year is coming to an end.  My daughter, who usually cries when she leaves a teacher, said to me last night, "I can hardly wait for school to be over."

I'm friends with the assistant principal at my daughter's school, so I left a voice mail for him to give me a call yesterday.  He just called, and I expressed my concerns about my daughter's teacher.  Now, before you start thinking that I'm one of those parents who thinks his kid can do no wrong, let me set you straight.  I'm NOT.  I also think elementary school teachers are some of the hardest-working, least-appreciated people in the world.  I have nothing but respect for anyone who volunteers to be locked up with a room-full of elementary-school-age kids for eight or nine hours a day.  It takes a special breed of person, and I am not of that breed.

The upshot of my conversation with my friend was that he was not surprised.  I received the impression that several people were aware of this teacher's erratic behavior, and it is being dealt with.  I'm greatly relieved.  I don't want another class of children to have to deal with the situation.

Now, anyone reading this post probably doesn't give a shit about what I just wrote.  You're thinking to yourself, "This man is a complete egomaniac if he thinks I care about any of this.  He's just rambling because he hasn't written a new poem and doesn't have anything of substance to discuss."  That would be an accurate assessment of the situation.  I don't have a lot on my mind today.  Therefore, I'm talking about my daughter's last day of school.  Deal with it.

SH is coming in two days.  My daughter is on summer vacation.  And I have nothing entertaining to say. 

Saint Marty's world.  Welcome to it.

To make up for this post, here's a great summer vacation video from the Go-Gos:

No comments:

Post a Comment