Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26: New Cartoon, Former Classmate, EW

I am going to make this short and quick, as my posts usually are on the weekend.  I have a new cartoon for you to enjoy, ridicule, or ignore.  Take your pick.  But I wanted to say a little bit about the newest issue of the magazine Entertainment Weekly, which contains a huge, glowing review of a novel by a former classmate of mine from graduate school days.  Not only that, the same book is mentioned earlier in the magazine, as well.  I've read and reread the review quite a few times this weekend. 

This author was incredibly nice.  In fact, she was one of the nicest people I've ever met.  She liked a story of mine that the rest of the workshop pretty much used to wipe their asses with.  Plus, she was a fantastic writer, even 15 or so years ago.  It doesn't surprise me that she ended up in the pages of Entertainment Weekly.

That doesn't stop the old jealousy monster from possessing me, however.  Yes, I'm really, really, really envious of her.  It also doesn't help that she was nominated for the American Book Award a couple of years ago.  That's the state I'm in right now, and it ain't pretty.  I'll get over it as soon as another of my former classmates publishes a book and ends up in the pages of People.

Saint Marty, still looking for his share of the glory.

Confessions of Saint Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment