Wednesday, October 4, 2023

October 4: "Moles," Pushing the Dirt, Quiet Desperation

Mary Oliver admires . . . 

Moles

by:  Mary Oliver

Under the leaves, under
the first loose
levels of earth
they're there--quick
as beetles, blind
as bats, shy 
as hares but seen
less than these--
traveling
among the pale girders
of appleroot,
rockshelf, nests
of insects and black
pastures of bulbs
peppery and packed full
of the sweetest food:
spring flowers.
Field after field
you can see the traceries
of their long
lonely walks, then
the rains blur
even this frail
hint of them--
so excitable,
so plush,
so willing to continue
generation after generation
accomplishing nothing 
but their brief physical lives
as they live and die,
pushing and shoving
with their stubborn muzzles against
the whole earth,
finding it
delicious.



There it is--the life of the mole.  Pushing and shoving dirt all their lives, their heavens studded with appleroot and rockshelf, eclipses of bulbs and the promise of spring flowers.  In general, nobody sings the praises of these small, blind creatures of the earth.  Nobody, that is, except Mary Oliver.

I think most of us live our lives like this--doing our things, pushing the dirt, getting the necessary work done without needing an "attaboy" or "nice job" or "holy shit!"  As Thoreau said, most humans "lead lives of quiet desperation."  I don't expect a praise psalm every time I teach a class or lead a poetry workshop.  My impulse, when I receive a compliment, is to deflect and deprecate.  After all, most successes are team efforts,  For example, the winners of the 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, Katalin Kariko and Drew Weissman, were a team whose work led to the development mRNA COVID vaccines.  A team.  And they saved millions of people.  

I'm so blessed in my life to have supportive and loving family and friends, even with all my poet weirdness.  The choices I've made in my life haven't all been the greatest.  I've fucked up just as much as I've succeeded.  If I were a mole, I probably would have broken my muzzle trying to dig a hole through solid granite.  Yet, my tribe has stuck by me, supporting me through my lowest of lows as well as my highest of highs.  

Moles move mountains of dirt during their humble lives, and they find the work delicious. 

Saint Marty has shoveled a lot of shit in his lifetime, and he has been graced with more than his fair share of auroras, rainbows, and mind-blowing sunrises.



No comments:

Post a Comment