Friday, October 13, 2023

October 13: "A Meeting," Louise Glück, To Everything

Mary Oliver sees a beautiful woman . . .

A Meeting

by:  Mary Oliver

She steps into the dark swamp
where the long wait ends.

The secret slippery package
drops to the weeds.

She leans her long neck and tongues it
between breaths slack with exhaustion

and after a while it rises and becomes a creature
like her, but much smaller.

So now there are two.  And they walk together
like a dream under the trees.

In early June, at the edge of a field
thick with pink and yellow flowers

I meet them.
I can only stare.

She is the most beautiful woman
I have ever seen.

Her child leaps among the flowers,
the blue of the sky falls over me

like silk, the flowers burn, and I want
to live my life all over again, to begin again,

to be utterly
wild.



Ecclesiastes 3 is one of my favorite Biblical passages:

For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance. A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones. A time to embrace and a time to turn away. A time to search and a time to quit searching. A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace.

I have to believe that Mary Oliver was well-acquainted with these verses.  Tonight's poem is all about a time to be born--the beautiful doe bringing a secret slippery package into the green world.  Her child soon leaps in pink and yellow flowers, and the new mother walks with her under the dream of the trees.  Seeing them, Oliver wants to be reborn as something untamed and untamable.

Of course, if there is a season of birth, there's also a season of death.  On this Friday the 13th, poet Louise Glück died.  I've always thought of Glück as a poetic cousin to Mary Oliver, both women writing in plain, spare language about nature and love and loss and joy and grief.  Glück was 80-years-old and had won just about every award a writer can win, including the Nobel Prize in Literature three years ago in the middle of the pandemic.

Tonight, as I sit in a hotel room in Calumet, Michigan, typing this post, I am still a little shocked by the news of Glück's passing.  People die every day.  I know this.  It's a 100% certainty--we are all going to stop breathing eventually and become fertilizer or dust or compost.  There are some people, however, who seem as ageless as Betty White.  You just expect them to live forever.  Mary Oliver was one of those people for me, and so was Louise Glück.  (Let's not even go near the fact that she only lived for three years after receiving the Nobel--that kind of sucks.)

But it seems appropriate that Glück took her final bow in October--autumn in the United States--when the maples blaze and morning air bites the throat with coming frost.  It is a perfect time to bid farewell.  That doesn't make the farewell any easier, but a poet knows when to end a poem--what image or word to leave in the mind or on the tongue.  And Glück was a hell of a poet.

So, I raise Louise Glück up to all of my faithful disciples this evening.  She made the universe better, more beautiful with her words.

Saint Marty hopes someone says the same thing about him one day.

A poem by Glück:

Vespers

by:  Louise Glück

In your extended absence, you permit me 
use of earth, anticipating 
some return on investment. I must report 
failure in my assignment, principally 
regarding the tomato plants. 
I think I should not be encouraged to grow 
tomatoes. Or, if I am, you should withhold 
the heavy rains, the cold nights that come 
so often here, while other regions get 
twelve weeks of summer. All this 
belongs to you: on the other hand, 
I planted the seeds, I watched the first shoots 
like wings tearing the soil, and it was my heart 
broken by the blight, the black spot so quickly 
multiplying in the rows. I doubt 
you have a heart, in our understanding of 
that term. You who do not discriminate 
between the dead and the living, who are, in consequence, 
immune to foreshadowing, you may not know 
how much terror we bear, the spotted leaf, 
the red leaves of the maple falling 
even in August, in early darkness: I am responsible 
for these vines.




1 comment: