Thursday, October 19, 2023

October 19: "The Rabbit," Beautiful Poet Friend, "Ordinary in Rough Draft"

Mary Oliver teaches death a lesson . . . 

The Rabbit

by:  Mary Oliver

Scatterghost,
it can't float away.
And the rain, everybody's brother,
won't help.  And the wind all these days
flying like ten crazy sisters everywhere
can't seem to do a thing.  No one but me,
and my hands like fire,
to lift him to a last burrow.  I wait

days, while the body opens and begins
to boil.  I remember

the leaping in the moonlight, and can't touch it,
wanting it miraculously to heal
and spring up
joyful.  But finally

I do.  And the day after I've shoveled
the earth over, in a field nearby

I find a small bird's nest lined pale
and silvery and the chicks--

are you listening, death?--warm in the rabbit's fur.



This morning, as I usually do at least once a week, I met with a beautiful poet friend to write.  For an hour, we sat across from each other and scribbled in our respective journals.  We both love Mary Oliver--her embrace of the joy and darkness of the universe.  Newborn chicks cradled in the fur of a dead rabbit.

I love when my morning begins with poetry and writing.  It guides my mind to a different place where I recognize the tiny miracles of everyday life.  And that's exactly what happened today.

One of my prompts this a.m. was pretty simple:  write a poem about an "ordinary" day.  

My poet friend and I quickly realized that "ordinary" really doesn't define our lives.  We are both people whose days are a chaotic series of encounters, experiences, and evolutions.  Neither of us really do ordinary often.  So, we struggled with this particular poetic challenge.

Saint Marty came up with something, filled with both joy and darkness.  You be the judge of its ordinariness.

Ordinary in Rough Draft

by:  Martin Achatz

I have to plan for ordinary,
my days usually crowded
with the reach for extraordinary,
sunrises that steer my car
to Lake Superior; mornings
that are filled to the brim 
with forgotten doctor's appointments
or burned toast or lumpy
oatmeal; work days humming
with the kind of urgency
that belongs in emergency
rooms or intensive care units;
bosses who insist the report
needs to be submitted by noon.
Emails.  Deadlines,  Phones
ringing like so many flocks
of seagulls in a frenzy over
spilled French fries.  Then
home, to an evening crammed
with the prep and burn 
for tomorrow's extraordinariness.

A confession:  I don't know 
what ordinary looks like.
Is it a glass of cold milk
and scrambled eggs?  Or
meeting a poet friend for 
some stolen seconds before
the day's chaos descends?  

Or maybe chaos is ordinary.  
Maybe I should write a psalm
for ink in my pen, full charge on my
phone battery.  Maybe ordinary
is that spiderweb outside
the door at work, studded
with diamonds of rain.
It stops me dead for a few
moments to marvel at its
wild, delicate art.



2 comments:

  1. I am not so sure life is meant to be ordinary, but a life filled with wonder and adventure. Thank you for sharing you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete