Tuesday, July 5, 2022

July 5: Plenty of Things, Little Overwhelmed, Willows and Horsetails

Santiago wishes for help . . . 

"I wish I had the boy," the old man said aloud. "I'm being towed by a fish and I'm the towing bitt. I could make the line fast. But then he could break it. I must hold him all I can and give him line when he must have it. Thank God he is travelling and not going down."

What I will do if he decides to go down, I don't know. What I'll do if he sounds and dies I don't know. But I'll do something. There are plenty of things I can do.

Santiago never gives up.  Sure, he may wish every once in a while that his circumstances were different, but he never allows himself to despair completely.  As he thinks, "There are plenty of things I can do."

Returned to work today after a three-day holiday weekend.  It was rough getting up this morning and working up enthusiasm to return to the office.  Because I knew the length of my list of things I needed to do.  Plus, I am teaching this second summer session at the university, so there are Discussion Forums to grade and panicked students to calm.

I must admit that I allowed myself to get a little overwhelmed.  However, I took my cue from Santiago, and I just concentrated on the task in front of me.  Task by task, I chipped away at my piles.  Plus, I had three meetings, as well.  I finished what needed to get done.  Then, I screened a documentary at the library about the Trail of Tears, a film I picked out for its close proximity to the celebration of Independence Day.  Just to provide a little counterpoint and balance to the strain of rampant patriotism that takes over the country this time of year.

I didn't get everything accomplished.  However, tomorrow's pile of tasks in substantially smaller than today's.  I count that a win.  Last night's fireworks were rained out in Marquette, Michigan, so the plan was to set them off this evening.  At 6 p.m., there was a fine mist settled in the city, with thick fog hovering over Lake Superior.  As I headed down to start screening the documentary, I had my doubts about fireworks going off at dusk.

But there were fireworks tonight.  I make the supposition from the absence of an announcement stating that they had been postponed again.  I'm sure that, tomorrow, Facebook will be flooded with photos and videos of Willows and Horsetails and Kamuros in the night sky.

There are plenty of things I can do now.  I could watch an episode of The Big Bang Theory.  Read a little Louise Erdrich.  Grade some more.  Lie on the couch in the dark, staring up at the ceiling.  Write a new poem.

Or Saint Marty could just give up and go to sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment