Friday, July 8, 2022

July 8: Almost Comfortable, Fatherhood, My Nephew

Santiago tries to get comfortable . . . 

The fish never changed his course nor his direction all that night as far as the man could tell from watching the stars. It was cold after the sun went down and the old man's sweat dried cold on his back and his arms and his old legs. During the day he had taken the sack that covered the bait box and spread it in the sun to dry. After the sun went down he tied it around his neck so that it hung down over his back and he cautiously worked it down under the line that was across his shoulders now. The sack cushioned the line and he had found a way of leaning forward against the bow so that he was almost comfortable. The position actually was only somewhat less intolerable; but he thought of it as almost comfortable.

There are times when something lifechanging happens to you, and it takes you time to become comfortable with it.  When my daughter was born, I fell in love with her immediately, but it took me some time be comfortable with fatherhood.  Babies don't come with owner's manuals.

My nephew became a new father today.  Pretty proud of him.  From what I've heard, he only threw up once during the delivery.  He has a son.  Melvin Thomas.  My nephew's life is never going to be the same again.  It will be so much better.

I don't have any father advice.  Haven't written that manual.  What I have learned in the 21 years I've been practicing being a father is this:  all you have to do is love your kid, no matter what.  Start with that, and everything else will be cool.

My nephew will probably never read this post.  That's okay.  He's going to have his hands full for the next, oh, 20 years or so.

But Saint Marty wants to say that he knows his nephew is going to be a great dad.

A poem for my nephew tonight . . .

Rules of Fatherhood

by:  Martin Achatz

When I first heard my daughter's heart
Ten years ago in the doctor's office,
I had no clue how to care for a girl,
Those unwritten rules new fathers
Must learn over time. Make your girl
Sit frog-legged in the bathtub
To allow warm water to flow
Into areas of her body where skin
Turns raw, pink or red as grapefruit,
In the privacy of diaper or panty.
When she turns three or four,
Teach her to wipe front-to-back,
Not back-to-front, to avoid kidney,
Bladder infections. Comb her hair
As soon as she's done bathing.
Slide the teeth through and through,
To remove all tangles, then braid.
Start simple, one ponytail at the back
Of her head. Work to French braids,
Beautiful as sweet, curled loaves
In bakeries at Christmas. Never
Utter the name of the boy she likes
When she's five or seven or ten.
Just watch them play together.
Notice how he always insists
She climb the steps of the slide
Before him, his neck craned upward,
Cheeks flushed, as she goes higher and higher.
Invite said boy to her tenth birthday
Party, watch him squirm when you sit
Beside him and say, "What are your
Plans for the future, son?"
Even though you don't believe
In guns, buy one to hold
In your lap when she goes
On her first date. When he arrives,
Stare at him, the way a lion stares
At a wounded water buffalo.

All these rules I've learned
Since that day the doctor waved
Her wand over my wife, pulled
From the top hat of my wife's belly
That sound: crickets singing
On a summer night, Love me, love me, love me.



No comments:

Post a Comment