Wednesday, February 9, 2022

February 9: Better with the Sun, Short and Sweet, Sunrise

Santiago meets the morning sun . . . 

He tried to increase the tension, but the line had been taut up to the very edge of the breaking point since he had hooked the fish and he felt the harshness as he leaned back to pull and knew he could put no more strain on it. I must not jerk it ever, he thought. Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and then when he does jump he might throw it. Anyway I feel better with the sun and for once I do not have to look into it.

This post will be short and sweet.  Today, I went back to work after a couple days off following my sister's funeral.  I have to admit that I wasn't looking forward to this return.  When the alarm went off, I felt as if I could have slept for another two or three or twelve hours.  Remember, my main preoccupation since my sister's funeral on Saturday has been napping.

Yet, as I drove into the sunrise this morning, I sort of felt like Santiago after a long night on the boat.  I enjoyed watching color leach into the clouds.   When I got to the library, I enjoyed catching up with my office mate.  Ditto for teaching in the afternoon.  Then, beers and pizza and cake with one of my best friends from the Upper Peninsula Children's Museum.  And after that, I hosted a virtual reading given by one of my oldest and dearest writing buddies.  

It was a good easing back into the regular stream of life.  Sure, there is still tension on the fishing line of my life.  A big, dark fish pulling my little dinghy along.  But, the sun was on my back, and I was surrounded by good people who care a great deal about me.

Saint Marty can't ask for much better than that.



No comments:

Post a Comment